This spring: time = money
You can almost feel it: warmer and longer days, people have set their clocks ahead one hour (you did remember, right?), and the discernible optimistic buzz in the air. That can only mean one thing: the WESM Spring Membership Drive has arrived!
While you're remembering to change the clock over for the season, please remember to support this public radio station with a financial gift.
OK, before you navigate away from this page groaning about the endless (and shameless) pledge pitches, multiple interruptions to your favorite public radio programs, and (maybe) the guilt from letting your membership lapse, please consider the following:
- We are doing this for your own good (really). Without you, we could not exist to serve you and your community. And besides, we only interrupt your programming twice a year (see you this fall).
- As a regular listener, you enjoy certain programs unique to public radio (Morning Edition, Car Talk, JazzSet, Marketplace, American Routes, Radiolab, etc.). The reality is that these programs aren't free to us--even the locally produced ones when you consider the cost of personnel and equipment. Every dollar we raise helps defray these costs.
- We know that times are hard. We here at WESM are feeling the pinch, too (in several places I won't mention here). Over the last several years, our revenue has decreased due to, in part, an overcrowding of our small market by other NPR stations planting their flags in our backyard and eating our barbecue while their at it! Listener support is critical for us to remain relevant in this area. Moreover, we are not a commercial entity--our sources of revenue come from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, underwriting, and...oh yeah...you!
- It doesn't require a lot of time or money on your part. You and billions of other listeners (OK, OK...millions...wishfully) can support this radio station for as little a dollar a week (basic membership starts at $52, but you can pledge as much or as little as you would like). The pledging process is quick and easy. Just call us toll-free at 1-866-651-8001 (weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm)and one of our operators will be standing by to cheerfully take your pledge over the telephone (really, we have people chained to their desks...they're not going anywhere). Our pledge form is also available online: wesm913.org for your convenience, as well. Credit cards accepted (MasterCard, Visa, American Express).
- We have "thank you" gifts! We know that's not the reason you pledge to your local public radio station, right? But we do have them just as our way of saying "thanks" for going through the trouble of supporting us. Coffee mugs? No problem! T-shirts and sweatshirts? Come and get 'em (actually, we will mail them to you)! We have things from aluminum water bottles to hand-crankalble flashlight/radios to music CD box sets. We have full-color pictures on our website for those of us able to see within that narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- And the best part of all this--we don't confiscate radios for nonpayment...at least not yet. We operate strictly on the honor system. We certainly hope every person will honor their commitment to making this station a viable part of this community. Not to mention, we really don't have a lot of space for confiscated radios.
So, you see, your part in all this is most important. Regardless of how you may feel about pledge drives (warm and fuzzy...we hope), it is a necessary part of doing business. However, if you would like to see us change our business model and happen to have a couple million dollars laying about not doing anything this week, we have a few suggestions...
Seriously, please remember to do these things (not necessarily in this order): set your clock ahead one hour (if you haven't done so already), change the battery in your smoke detector, and support WESM 91.3 FM during this pledge drive (1-866-651-8001 or wesm913.org).
We hope to hear from you this week! Thanks in advance.